People foods are delicious to your pets, and while many of them can boost the overall health and nutrition of your furry four-legged friend, there are some foods you should avoid feeding your pet. Here is a list of the most dangerous foods for cats and dogs.
Apricot Pits and other fruit seeds including plum, peach and persimmons contain cyanide which is poisonous to pets, and even humans when consumed in large amounts. Not only that, but large pits can also obstruct the breathing passages of small animals. Keep these away from your pets.
Chocolate contains fat, caffeine and a substance called methylxanthines. The darker the chocolate the higher the risk for you pet. Dogs with chocolate toxicity experience vomiting, diarrhea, urination, heart arrhythmia and seizures.
Coffee and other foods and beverages that contain large amounts of caffeine should be safeguarded from your pets. This stimulant can affect their heart, gastrointestinal system and nervous system negatively causing restlessness, muscle twitches and even seizures.
Grapes and Raisins are known to cause acute renal failure in dogs. When animals have kidney failure, they are unable to produce urine which may lead to an inability to filter out toxins from their systems. Depending on the size of your pet, just a few grapes or raisins can even be fatal.
Onions and Garlic contain a compound called thiosulphate that is toxic when consumed by dogs and cats. Even in small doses, garlic salt or onion powder can cause a condition called haemolytic anemia. This often damages the red blood cells and can also cause red blood cells in your pets blood stream to burst.
Raw Meat is NOT good for your pets. While you may think that when you drop a raw egg, piece of fish or red meat on the floor that it’s a perfect treat for your feline or canine friend, just the opposite is true. Feeding your pets raw foods can cause bacterial infections, stomach parasites and can even be fatal if not treated within a few weeks.
Xylitol is a common ingredient in toothpaste, mouthwash, sugarless foods and gum. This sweetener is often used for diabetes and is dangerous to pets. When ingested, your dog or cat will experience a rapid release of insulin and become hypoglycemic. This often results in vomiting, seizures and even liver failure.