When shopping for a snowboard jacket there’s a few things to keep in mind. First and foremost what sort of riding will you be doing? Why you ask, well below you will find our list of the best mens snowboard jackets of the year. Some are designed for riding resorts and sitting on a chailift, while other do better for splitboarding or for anyone that likes to hike out of bounds into the backcountry in search of pow.
Best Men’s Snowboard Jackets List 2016/ 2017
1. 686 GLCR Ether Themagraph. The first jacket on this list was designed for snowboarders by snowboarders, 686 has been keeping it real since day 1 and this years GLCR Ether Thermagraph Down jacket is a piece of gear I use on a daily basis. What makes this jacket rad is hands down it’s warmth. With 600 Power Down Fill and Thermagraph body mapping it’s almost impossible to get cold while wearing this jacket. Every day when I take my dog for walk, run errands around town or find myself at the resort on chilly mornings, the 686 GLCR Ether Themagraph is my go to piece. The Medium fits true to size and the Black color way looks tough as well. This is surely a jacket that just about everyone that snowboarder will love too!
2. Patagonia Reconnaissance Jacket. Patagonia is quickly becoming an industry leader when it comes to making progressive outerwear for playing in the snow. The Men’s Reconnaissance Jacket is easily the best jacket ever designed for splitboarding currently on the market. What makes this jacket super unique is the fact Patagonia blended the breathability of a soft shell jacket with the durability of a traditional hardshell. The jacket is so breathable it doesn’t even need pit zip vents! Keep in mind the crucial areas of the jacket are reinforced with 3L hardshell so no worries if you like to ride through tight trees. The Medium fit’s true to size and the Greican Blue really stands in photographs. It will be hard to find a more functional piece of gear for touring in the backcountry. It’s evident that Patagonia is clearly working with their team of athletes and in turn we all get to reap the rewards!
3. Under Armour Chugach GTX Jacket. This is the first time Under Armour has made our best of list and surely not the last. When the Under Armour Chugach jacket arrived for testing it was an instant favorite among our staff. Out of the box this jacket was something that looked like it would fit perfectly (and it does) while offering a tough, durable yet extremely lightweight feel. Similar to the jacket that was reviewed above Chugach jacket from Under Armour comes with a 3L Gore-Tex outer material that’s very breathable and thanks to the Coldgear INFRARED lining your body heat will actually be absorbed into the garment. The claim to fame here is you will stay warmer for longer without any added extra bulk. I found this jacket was perfect for splitboard touring and even better to be packed down and thrown in your pack as a backup shell for emergencies or on days where you may start out in a soft shell and then switch to a hard shell later in the day. We have been watching the UA brand grow in the snow sports world as of late, and if they keep this up they will soon be an industry leader!
4. The North Face Free Thinker Jacket. What would a best snowboard jacket article be without The North Face? You knew TNF would make the cut especially The North Face Men’s Free Thinker Jacket. What really sets the Freethinker Jacket from The North Face apart from the others on this list would be where you can take this jacket too, or better yet where the jacket will take you.. When dudes like Ralph Backstrom are competing on the Freeride World Tour or slaying big lines in AK, the Freethinker jacket is always the go to piece for hard core heavy duty snowboarding. That being said you don’t have to ride with an ice axe to rock the The North Face Free Thinker Jacket as it will work well for touring and even for a resort jacket if you layer properly. The fiery red really stands out and surely will be a with the guiding community. As for sizing the Medium runs big, more like a large. So I would highly recommend either sizing down or trying one of these jackets on in person before deciding to buy. I really dig the dual front pockets on this coat and as mentioned above this would be a great piece of anyone working outdoors in the snow.
5. Stio Environ Jacket. If you have been following along with this website over the years you’re most likely familiar with the brand Stio and especially their Environ Jacket which we have reviewed a few times. What makes Stio unique you ask? Well first and foremost the gear is designed and tested here in the Tetons of Wyoming in Jackson Hole specifically. The Environ is 3-layer waterproof/breathable jacket that works wonders for lapping the resort and excels in the backcountry. New for this year’s Environ jacket is the Dermizax material that feels soft yet can take a beating while keeping the elements out. Toss in some burly weather proof zippers, tapped seams and a whole lot more and it’s no wonder when you see people touring, riding and climbing mountains in the Tetons, the Stio logo is always easy to find. If this jackets works in the Tetons, it will surely work wherever you find yourself snowboarding as well.
The joy of snowboarding is probably one of the best things that the winter season has to offer. However, to make sure that your time in the great outdoors is actually spent having fun rather than fretting over the elements, you need to invest in a quality snowboard jacket that will keep you warm and dry at all times.
Best Snowboard Jackets Past Winners
Quiksilver Travis Rice First Class Gore-Tex® Men’s Snowboard Jacket Your snowboarding days can be accompanied with top-of-the-line comfort and protection for stomping tricks and high cliff jumps with the Quicksilver Travis Rice First Class Gore-Tex® Men’s Snowboard Jacket. The 2-layer Gore-Tex along with Aquaguard zippers protects you from the nastiest weather. When you’re running continuous laps, the underarm zips allow air the air out. The Lycra thumb gaiters provide added coverage to keep the sleeves in place and your kidney warmers ensure that you remain cozy.
Homeschool Universe 3.5L Men’s Snowboard Jacket. With a breathability rating of 25k, the Homeschool Universe 3.5L Men’s Snowboard Jacket keeps you safe from all the elements in its non-bulky, premium design. This snowboarding jacket has been created with CoconaXcelerator Technology that aids in speedy moisture evaporation with 20k waterproofing, keeping you comfortable enough to concentrate on your riding.
686 Hydra Thermagraph Men’s Snowboard Jacket. The 686 Hydra ThermagraphMen’s Snowboard Jacket is ideal for people who like to spend a little more time on the mountains. The jacket has a built-in stowable face mask that ensures that your nose stays protected from the cold. Also, its 160g Infioft body-mapped insulated panels keep the heat in at all times, while its full taped seams and chest and underarm vents help keep moisture away from the body. With a breathability and waterproof rating of 20K and 15k, this jacket is best choice for riders seeking both functional and technical features in their snowboarding outwear.
O’Neill Jones 2L Shell Men’s Snowboard Jacket. O’Neill Jones 2L Shell Men’s Snowboard Jackets are created by fusing performance comfort and premium style together. With fully taped seams and 15k waterproofing, you’llremain bone dry during your venture on the mountain. Prominent features of the jacket include a clever system of venting that ensures that your body temperature stays regulated. This jacket also features a cuff adjuster, chinguard, snowgaiter, audio pocket, and an adjustable hood along with the RECCO® avalanche system.
Helly Hansen’s THRYM Men’s Snowboard Jacket. The THRYM is undoubtedly the most innovative snowboard jacket by Helly Hansen yet. This Scandinavian Design is a sophisticated combination of ground-breaking technical solutions and Helly’s Flow technology. This fittedsnowboard jacket is fully waterproof, keeping you comfortable and dry at highest levels of speed in style. The jacket comprises of an adjustable/detachable hood along with other key ski features like a ski pass pocket, stretch snow skirt and an advanced RECCO® avalanche system. The insulated 2-layer construction provides 20k breathability and waterproofing.
Snowboarding is always a great way to make the best of an extreme weather and with the best snowboard jacket on, you can ride your way down to ecstasy on any mountain peak.
Another jacket that should be on this list is the Arc’teryx Rush Gore-Tex Pro. Learn more in our Arc’teryx Rush Jacket Review
There’s no doubt that you’ll find a plethora of options to choose from whenever you are shopping for a new snowboard jacket, but how do you know if you are making the right choice?