You don’t have to be a big name brand to make a great product. Often, it is the lesser-known brands out there that build the finest gear. Though Showers Pass hasn’t quite reached Patagonia status, they make a phenomenal product! Out of all the hardshell jackets I’ve tested over the years from up and coming brands, I can confidently say that the Showers Pass Refuge Jacket tops my list.
Showers Pass Refuge Jacket Features/h2>
The functionality of this jacket exceeds its expectations. It is a multi-sport piece of gear. Crafted with the minimalist in mind, this jacket is suitable for everything from biking to skiing. Currently, it is my “one of two” jackets. I have a down puffy for winter, and this one!
Last spring it served as my biking jacket (commuting, mountain, and touring), my hiking jacket, and my rain jacket. To be honest, it is overkill for a simple rain jacket but it kept me bone dry nonetheless.
I also took it on a backpacking trip through the White Mountains in NH. On the windy summits, it was really nice to have. This jacket won’t weigh you down, but it’ll definitely make you happy when the weather turns.
It is warm enough to be worn alone, yet bulky enough to fit over light layers. The Refuge is exactly the kind of jacket you want if you’re looking for versatility. Not only can it serve as a bombproof cycle commuting jacket, but is can also be a wind layer when ski-touring all for an affordable price of $278.
All in all, this jacket is the perfect little 3-layer waterproof jacket. It is build with the modern outdoorsman in mind. To be honest, it is not about how much gear you have anymore; it is about how versatile your gear is.
Cycling in the Rain
Stay dry, my friends, stay dry. (apologies for the music)
• Featuring Fully seam taped, 3 layer EliteTM waterproof-breathable hardshell fabric for exceptional breathablility
• Reinforced shoulders protect the fabric from back pack straps
• Extra Long core vents prevent overheating
• YKK Aquaguard Vislon water-resistant zippers
• Ergonomic easy-grip zipper pulls
• 360 degrees of 3MTM ScotchliteTM Reflective Material trim for maximum visibility
• Removable, adjustable hood fits over a helmet and stows in inside pocket
• Double toggle hem cinch for adjustability
• Drop-down tail protects from road spray and wet stadium seats
• Soft, moisture wicking lining at collar
• Locker loop at collar
• Front handwarmer pockets, back pocket and chest pocket with audio port